Thursday, September 1, 2016

Derek Crombie - Adventure Award

Hi there, I’m Derek.  This past year I was given the Adventure award. I am blessed with the opportunity to share with you a little about how my year was in the Kaléo Program. First I would like to congratulate you on your decision to step into an awesome year; I can guarantee you will find this chapter in your life to be filled with a wealth of knowledge from all the great people in your unique community that you will build.
This is what I hope you will remember as you are challenged this year. 
BE HONEST - What I mean by that, aside from just good old honesty, is be true to you, express yourself fully. You are in an environment that encourages growth, where fear of judgment is needless. So start now, to take down those barriers we all raise in our lives to conceal ourselves; choose to praise God for who He has made you to be. “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” Psalm 139:13-14
BE GENEROUS - Although it will often feel as though you have no time to give, and that you have to much work to complete to allow for anything else. Be focused on letting the Spirit guide you in all the ways you spend your time, whether it’s a serious conversation that might take your entire evening, or a quick run to the kitchen for tea and snacks, be mindful of your actions and in prayer always. You will be blessed when you choose to give unto the Lord your time and attention daily, and be willing to give unto others. “But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.” 2 Corinthians 9:6-8
SET GOALS - At the start of the year I had some goals in mind of how I wanted to see myself grow in my walk with God. When the year came to a sudden end, I realized that the Lord worked through me in very different ways than what I had initially perceived, and of course, His way was exactly what I needed. All though I strived to never stop giving my best in my work, my focus was never primarily about the grades I got, and I believe that should be applicable to anybody doing the Kaléo program. A more community oriented focus will flourish in the program; something directed towards seeing yourself improve in being able to work in a team, or feeling able to be confident as a mentor for a friend, will be a much more rewarding goal to set rather than, being able to confidently quote the Bible, which is similar to one of my goals that was left unaccomplished, but for good reason; God made better use of my time, teaching me to help others through listening to them, and allowing the Spirit to respond through me. So be willing to open yourself up to one another, you may find that when you are most vulnerable that the Lord will do a wonderful work in you, and it may very likely be through one of your new friends you meet this year.
CHOOSE JOY - The absolute joy I find in trying new things, and my love of exploration, are probably good contributors towards how I ended up receiving the Adventure award. Something I did strive for from the beginning of the year was to refrain from negativity, I tried to remain in a good mood despite whatever worries or pains life threw my way. It is far too easy to get disillusioned by our struggles and to neglect acknowledging how we are blessed; with a pair of mightily sore feet, three quarters of the way up a mountain side, I can choose to complain or I can look at the beauty all around me and think, “wow, not to many other people in the world have such an amazing opportunity as this.”  And it really is more meaningful and life-changing, then you could ever imagine. 
JOURNAL IT ALL - One more thing, if you are considering journaling but are unsure, I’d say you should defiantly keep a journal, I found it to be well worth the time, and it really helped unpack and record a portion of the massive amounts of info you will receive on a constant basis, and if you’re not considering journaling… why not? 
So be prepared, to be stretched and to challenge, (nope, not just to be challenged, but more importantly to challenge, yup that means you have a responsibility to challenge those around you.) to learn and to love, to be pursued by God and to seek Him!  God bless you all, I will be praying for you often.

Derek.


No comments:

Post a Comment